Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day Surgery @ KKH


I woke up early this morning as it is my Day Surgery at KKH. The reporting time was at 7am and the surgery scheduled at 10:30am.


KKH Admission Office was still closed so I explored the reception area on my stroller. I have been fasting since 4:30am so you can imagine "a hungry baby is an angry baby"!


Finally checked into the ward as the Pre-Admission Clinic forgot to do the Urine FEME for me. As I was on a fasting diet, my bladder was drying up and no pee came out.


The last minute plan was to have an IV drip hydrate me so as to have some urine. My little hands were all prep for the needle. But thankfully the pee came alas and I was spared the initial IV! This is good news as I would be happier this way upon entering the Operating Theatre (OT).


The OT is like a play room with its colorful walls.


Here I am with Mummy and the team of doctors and nurses behind us. Mummy was all dressed up as she stayed with me in the waiting area all the way to the OT until the GA took effect.


This is the waiting area just before going into the OT. There are lots of toys, books and a big Mickey Mouse here. The nurses blew soap bubbles and kept me entertained!


The surgery took longer than expected and I was pushed out after 4 hours. I was alert but groggy, tired and a little cranky.


I am now staying in the High-Dependency unit until my condition has stablised and the pain managed. Then I will be able to move back to the more comfortable normal ward.


I am all wired up here. Heart rate monitor, Oxygen level, blood pressure, IV drip, urine discharge tube, all into me. Miserable, but I am glad Mummy is staying with me tonight.


Well, this is the "Bravery Award" I got for going through the 4-hour long open surgery!